She was super quick to assemble all the ingredients. Like an overjoyed kid, she kept telling me how they make this chutney almost everyday and serve it with dosa, idli, upma, semiya upma, etc.
1 cup peanuts, roasted and deskinned,
¼ cup chana dal/bengal gram, roasted,
3-4 dry red chilies, more if you like it spicy,
¼ inch ginger,
1 tbsp sesame seeds,
12-15 garlic pods,
1 tomato, roughly chopped,
1 or 2 tsp oil,
Pinch of asafoetida,
Small bunch of fresh coriander,
Salt as required,
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the peanuts on a low to medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and fry for a minute.
- Lastly add the roasted chana dal, sesame seeds, garlic, ginger & asafoetida and fry for 2-3 minutes more on a low flame.
- Take care that you don't over brown or burn this mixture.
- Allow it to cool down.
- In a blender grind this to a fine paste. Add a little water to get the desired consistency. Mix salt and blend well.
- Serve peanut chutney with idli, dosa, or simply mix it with hot rice.
This tangy and spicy chutney stays well for upto 2 days in the refrigerator.